Compliance Agent Defined | Initial Certification | Renewal Certification| Checklist
Compliance Agent Defined
A compliance agent means an individual who owns or is employed by a licensed private security services business to ensure the compliance of the private security services business with this title.
The requirements can be found in 6 VAC 20-171-70 of the Regulations. Certifications are issued for 24 months.
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- One (1) of the following:
- Three years (3) of managerial or supervisory experience in a private security services business, a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency, or in a related field.
- Five years (5) experience in a private security services business, with a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency, or in a related field.
- Be a United States citizen or legal resident alien of the United States.
6 Hours, Consisting of:
Submit to the Department
- Initial compliance agent certification application and applicable non-refundable fee
- Compliance agent entry-level training enrollment application and applicable non-refundable fee
- Fingerprint card, fingerprint processing application and applicable non-refundable fee. For more information, view the Fingerprints page.
- Official documentation verifying eligibility. For more information, view the Official Documentation page.
- Following review of all application requirements, the department shall assign the applicant to an entry-level compliance agent training session.
- Following the 6-hour training, the applicant must achieve a minimum passing score of 80% on the compliance agent examination.
- If you do not successfully complete the final exam the first time, you may take it a second time at our office in Richmond at no extra cost. However, if you fail the retest, you will need to complete all initial training requirements to include application, fee and entry-level training before testing again.
Before a certification will be issued, individuals must complete all required training.
Training fills quickly, on a first come, first serve basis. Please apply early to allow yourself time to be scheduled for the training date and location you prefer.
4 Hours, Consisting of:
Submit to the Department
- Compliance agent renewal application and applicable non-refundable fee.
- Compliance Agent in-service training enrollment application and applicable non-refundable fee.
- Following approval of your application, you will be scheduled for training.
- Individuals are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Compliance agents only have 60 days following expiration to reinstate. During reinstatement period, agents must submit an application and fee, an additional $12.50 reinstatement fee, and complete the required training. If the requirements are not met, the agent must submit an initial application (PSS_CA) and fee and take entry-level training.
Return to the Apply & Renew page.