Businesses, training schools, and individuals can apply for a renewal extension according to 6 VAC 20-171-190 of the Regulations.
The following are the only circumstances for which extensions may be granted:
- Extended illness;
- Extended injury;
- Military or foreign service; or
- Any emergency temporary assignment of private security personnel by the private security services business or training school for which the individual is employed.
Submit to the Department
- Extension request form (PSS_ER).
- Written, dated and signed by the individual or principal or a licensed entity prior to the expiration date of the time limit required for completion of the requirements;
- Indicate the projected date of compliance by the person, business, or training school will be able to comply with the requirements; and
- Copy of the official documentation of reason for extension request: physician's record of the injury or illness or a copy of the government orders.
- No extension will be approved for registrations, certifications, or business licenses that have expired.
- Applications for additional extensions may be approved upon written request of the person, business, or training school.
- The private security services person, business, or training school shall be non-operational during the period of extension.
Return to the Apply & Renew page.