The requirements can be found in 6 VAC 20-171-120 of the Regulations. Firearms endorsements must be renewed annually.
Applications for renewal should be received by DCJS at least 30 days prior to expiration.
- 07E - Entry-Level Handgun Training
- 08E - Entry-Level Shotgun Training
- 07R - Firearms Retraining
- 08R - Shotgun Retraining
Submit to the Department
- Firearms endorsement application (PSS_RF) and applicable non-refundable fee. The same application is submitted for both initial and renewal endorsements.
- Completion of required training for each type of action and caliber to which the individual has access. Initial endorsement applicants must complete the appropriate entry-level course and renewal endorsement applicants must complete the appropriate retraining course.
- PLEASE NOTE: Training schools will submit the roster to DCJS, do not send DCJS your training completion forms.
- Firearms endorsements must be applied for annually and in-service training must be completed each year.
PSS_RFPS - Firearms Endorsement (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Complete this form and the necessary training if you carry or have immediate access to a firearm in the performance of your duties.
Return to the Apply & Renew page.