Special Conservator of the Peace
Applications may be submitted to the Department using one of the following options:
- In-person at the Washington Building, 1100 Bank St., Richmond, VA 23219 (you may use the secure drop box located inside the main entrance)
- Regular mail to this address: Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services, P.O. Box 1300, Richmond, VA 23218
- Fax at 804-786-6344 (applications must have the Credit Card Authorization Form attached for processing)
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age;
- Successfully complete all initial training requirements for special conservator of the peace, including firearms verification of applicable, requested pursuant to the entry-level training standards in 6VAC20-230-160; and
- Be a United States citizen or legal resident alien of the United States.
- A properly completed application prescribed by the department;
- The applicable, nonrefundable application fee;
- Complete and pass a fingerprint based criminal history records search.
- Each individual applying for special conservator of the peace must submit to a drug and alcohol-screening test approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Each applicant must submit proof of a surety bond or cash bond in the amount not to be less than $10,000 executed by a surety company authorized to do business in Virginia, or a certificate or insurance reflecting the department as a certificate holder, showing a policy of comprehensive general liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $10,000 issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in Virginia
Submit to the Department
- Initial Special Conservator of the Peace Registration Application
- Documentation verifying that the applicant has secured one of the following:
- Surety bond or cash bond in the minimum amount of $10,000.
- Certificate of insurance, reflecting the Department of Criminal Justice Services as a certificate holder, showing a policy of comprehensive general liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $10,000.
- Drug and Alcohol Test Results
- The test results must be reported to the Department from FirstLab and the sample must be done at a Labcorp facility.
- FirstLab, contact Nancy Brun at 1-800-732-3784 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. When contacting Nancy Brun, notify the receptionist that you are with the Special Conservator of the Peace program. To locate the Labcorp site nearest you, please visit www.labcorp.com and go to the Patient Service Center locations. The cost for testing is $41.50. Payment methods are in the form of a money order, certified check or credit card.
- Fingerprint Processing Application
Additional Information for Special Conservator of the Peace
- A temporary registration will be issued following completion of all registration requirements. This letter should be taken to the circuit court to petition for SCOP appointment by the employing company. PLEASE NOTE: registration does not guarantee appointment.
- When appointment has been granted, a copy of the court order of appointment must be filed with DCJS.
- Once the court order has been filed with DCJS, a final registration letter and hard card will be issued.
- Application And Order For Appointment Of Special Conservator Of The Peace (Form CC-1430)