Virginia School Safety Audit Program - Virginia School Safety Survey Homepage
In the Commonwealth of Virginia, all public schools are required through legislation to conduct an annual school safety audit in order to assess school safety conditions. As a means for collecting individual school safety audit information, the Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety (VCSCS) annually administers the Virginia School Safety Survey. This web-based survey provides all public schools (K-12) with a standardized report format for conducting and submitting their audit information to the VCSCS.
According to the Code of Virginia § 22.1-279.8 (School safety audits and school crisis, emergency management, and medical emergency response plans required) and § 9.1-184 (Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety created; duties):
- The Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety shall develop a list of items to be included in the school safety audits and shall prescribe a standardized report format for school safety audits.
- Each local school board shall require all schools under its control to annually conduct school safety audits.
For purposes of the Virginia School Safety Survey requirement, a school is defined as: "Any separate physical structure that houses and instructs public school students during school hours."
The 2014 Virginia School Safety Survey
The 2014 Virginia School Safety Survey can be accessed from this website. Completion of this year’s survey is one of five components of the legislative requirement for the 2014-2015 school year. Additionally, the school must conduct a school inspection walk through using a checklist provided by the VCSCS. The "School Inspection Checklist" can be found here. View the Guidance for use of the School Safety Inspection Checklist here.
The school climate survey is also required. This year (2014-2015) schools will have to participate in a survey of 7th and 8th graders in spring 2015.
The school division is responsible for completing the division level survey, certifying the completion of the crisis management plan review, and the certifying the completion of the school safety inspection checklists.
Your school division superintendent reserves the right to require additional school safety audit processes to be completed within your division. Please check with your division superintendent or safety audit contact person to determine if you have additional division requirements.
Principals should click on the Principals link below to review survey instructions and questions for the Virginia School Safety Survey. Superintendents should click on the Superintendents link below to review the school level survey instructions and questions, and to access the Survey Manager feature where they can update their division's list of schools and contact information. In addition, Superintendents review their schools’ individual surveys and certify their response accuracy via this feature.
Important Information for 2014:
- Survey Access: Access to the web-based survey will be available August 4, 2014.
- Deadline: Principals must complete the survey by September 26, 2014, 5:00 p.m. in order to be in compliance and to be included in the Virginia School Safety Survey report for the 2013 - 2014 school year.
- Review Survey Instructions
- Review Survey Questions
- Access the 2014 Survey
- Review School Level Survey Instructions & Questions
- Access Survey Manager
- Access the Division Level Survey
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Terms & Definitions
- Technical Assistance/Help
- Other Resources