DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing SFST Instructor-Development Training Program
Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services Division of Law Enforcement
40 hours minimum
The purpose of this training is to prepare law enforcement officers to effectively instruct
the NHTSA/IACP Virginia approved Standardized Field Sobriety Testing program. This curriculum addresses the application of basic adult learning theory and the skills related to technical teaching. Participants learn effective teaching techniques from experienced instructor demonstration and their own in-class participation.
The SFST Instructor-Development training program will enable participants to achieve these objectives:
- Know adult learning principles and how they relate to effective training,
- Apply the motivational techniques and presentation skills taught in this course,
- Demonstrate effective questioning techniques and how to handle challenging situations,
- Develop training aids and
- The roles and responsibilities of instructors in conducting the SFST training program.
- Must be a sworn officer or an employee of a Virginia Criminal Justice Agency, Academy Instructional staff, or an Academy Director.
- Must have a minimum of two years experience in a Criminal Justice Agency.
- Requires the applicant to have attended and successfully completed an Instructor Development Course which meets or exceeds the standards of the Instructor Development Course outlined in 6VAC20-80-30.
- Must have attended the NHTSA/IACP Virginia approved Basic SFST School. Review Section 8, pages 1-20 of the Basic SFST Manual in preparation for the pre-test on the 1st morning of class. Students failing the pre-test will be immediately dismissed from class.
|Size of Class:||Class size is limited- 24|
|Equipment:||Pen and paper; good attitude and open mind|
|Credit:||PIC forms will be awarded upon successful course completion|
|Tuition and Cost:||Tuition and course materials are free.|
Central Shenandoah Criminal Justice Training Academy - 05/09/14|
Virginia State Police Academy - 06/28/14
James City County Police Training Center - 07/28/14
visit our online registration system.
Submit completed signed Application and all verification of all prerequisites to DCJS, 1100 Bank Street, 9th floor, Richmond, VA. 23219 or fax to 804-786-0410, attention Barbara Walker no later than the deadline dates for each school.
Barbara Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services
1100 Bank Street, 12th Floor