Campus Threat Assessment Team Train-the-Trainer
The Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Office of Campus Policing and Security is pleased to announce a two-day course entitled Campus Threat Assessment Team Train-the-Trainer, October 24-25, at the University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, in Charlottesville, VA.
Presented by Threat Assessment Resources International LLC, Alexandria, VA, this two-day Train-the-Trainer course is designed to provide participants with course material, instructional strategies, and supplemental resources to be able to provide basic training and some advanced training in campus threat assessment to fellow Virginia higher education personnel. Participants will learn to teach the course material in an interactive and effective manner, to provide basic training to new campus personnel, and to provide some on-going and advanced training to members of their campus Threat Assessment Teams and Violence Prevention Committees. Participants will receive the course PowerPoint presentation, as well as the instructor and participant manuals developed for this training.
Topics to be covered include:
- Overview of Violence on Campus
- The Nature and Process of Targeted Violence
- Operationalizing a Multi-Disciplinary Threat Assessment Team
- Guiding Principles and Best Practices of Threat Assessment
- Steps in the Campus Threat Assessment Process
- Legal Considerations
- Effective Case Management Strategies
- Common Problems and Solutions
- Guided Case Studies
- Legal Issues in Case Management
- Updates Regarding Virginia Laws on Threat Assessment and Related Issues
- Stalking and Other Violence Targeted Toward Domestic/Intimate Partners
- Incorporating Mandated Psychological Evaluations
- Challenges in Implementing and Maintaining Effective Teams
- Relevant Case Histories
- Integrating Threat Assessment Team Work into Broader Violence Prevention Programs
Enrollment in Campus Threat Assessment Team Train-the-Trainer is limited to Virginia higher education personnel and Virginia law enforcement professionals who are serving on or working with a Campus Threat Assessment Team or Violence Prevention Committee. Participants must have completed two DCJS-sponsored courses, "Basic Campus Threat Assessment Team Training" and "Advanced Threat Assessment Training for Higher Education: Issues and Practice," prior to enrolling in this training. The course instructors will highlight content from the two prerequisite DCJS courses and will train participants to provide the new course material to their fellow Virginia higher education personnel.
There is no registration fee for this course.
Transportation, Lodging, Meals
Participants are responsible for their transportation, lodging, and meal expenses.
Attendees requiring lodging at the Fairfield Inn & Suites-Charlottesville North will need to call the hotel directly at (434) 964-9411 to make their reservations. They need to mention their attendance at the Threat Assessment training in order to receive the $99 rate (+ tax = $108.90). The cut-off date to make reservations is currently Friday, September 21. After this date the $99 rate is not guaranteed to be available.
577 Branchlands Blvd, Charlottesville, VA
Phone: (434) 964-9411
DCJS is not currently accepting applications for this course.
Shellie MacKenzie - 804.225.1863
Kathi Lee - 804.786.4303
Donna Michaelis - 804.371.6506