spacer
spacer

Byrne Justice Assistance Grant Program (JAG)
Grant Program Profile


Grant Program Name: Byrne Justice Assistance Grant Program (JAG)

Source of Funds:

The Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice.


Amount Available:

 

The amount available varies from year to year. Congress appropriates JAG funds to Virginia based on the state’s population and its share of the nations Part 1 violent crime statistics. JAG funds to Virginia are allocated in two ways, some of the funds are subgranted to eligible Cites, Counties, Towns, or State Agencies in Virginia in a competitive application process and some funds are awarded to localities on a formula basis.

For the local formula allocation, based on this formula, localities eligible for $10,000 or more will receive notification from and will apply directly to the U. S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Program, Bureau of Justice Assistance. If after the formula calculation the locality is eligible for $9,999 or less in JAG funds, DCJS will award the funds automatically usually in the month of April.


Purpose of Funds:

The JAG program provides sub-grants to local governments and state agencies to support critical funding necessary in a wide range of program areas including law enforcement, prosecution and court, prevention and education, corrections and community corrections, drug treatment and enforcement, planning and evaluation and technology improvements. For JAG competitive funds, DCJS will list the funding priorities in its published grant guidelines.


Eligibility Requirements:

Any Virginia City, County, Town or State Agency is eligible to apply for JAG competitive funds. There is a four-year funding limit. If project performance justifies it and sufficient funds are available priority is given to continuation programs.


Match Requirements:

For new programs starting in state fiscal year 2011, JAG funds may be used to pay up to 95% of the cost of the approved project. The remaining 5% must be provided in cash by the unit of government.


Grants Awarded Date:

Grants are typically awarded on a state fiscal year cycle, (July 1 to June 30) or occasionally on a calendar year cycle.


Announcements:

Contact Information:

Grant Coordinator

Kathi Lee
E-mail

DCJS Grants Administration
1100 Bank Street
Richmond, VA 23219
E-mail
Phone: 804.786.4000
Fax: 804.786.7231



Home

Contact the Director
Contact Private Security Services
Contact Regulatory Affairs
Contact Law Enforcement Services
Contact Victims Services
Contact Juvenile Services
Contact Correctional Services
Contact Research Center

About the Director

Director's Bio

About the Deputy Director

Deputy Director's Bio


Quick Links

Human Trafficking
Report Campus or Local Emergency
Forfeited Asset Sharing Program
Blueprints for Change: Criminal Justice Policy Issues in Virginia

Strategic & Service Area Plans
Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission
Integrated Justice Program

Department of Criminal Justice Services
1100 Bank Street
Richmond, VA 23219
804.786-4000
FOIA
WAI Level A Compliant
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer