Skip to main content

Training Exemptions

Additional Information:

  1. If you were ever terminated from any law enforcement or private security business as a result of misconductor incompetence, you are not eligible for a waiver and will need to complete the full entry-level training if you wish to be registered in Virginia.

Where do I go for more information?

First, review the "How to Apply” page under Training Alternatives. It may also be helpful to review the FAQs for the specific category you are applying. Another source for additional information is to review the state regulations. Finally, you may wish to view the specific applications for both entry-level and in-service exemptions to help walk you through the process. 

I received a partial training exemption for entry-level requirements. Can I apply for another exemption instead of taking the additional training in my letter of approval?

No. Individuals who have been issued a Partial Training Exemption for an entry-level category must take the additional training outlined in their approval letter from a certified PSS training school. 

In-service requests must be for full training alternative credit. No exemption for partial hours will be granted. An individual being granted an in-service exemption must have successfully completed the training within the 12 months preceding the expiration date on their Registration or Certification. 

What is "official documentation"?

Refers to personnel records; DD214; copies of business licenses indicating ownership; law enforcement transcripts; certificates of training completion; a signed letter provided directly by a current/previous employer detailing dates of employment and job duties; college transcripts; letters of commendation; private security services registrations; certifications, and/or licenses from other states; and/or other employment, training, or experience verification documents. A resume is not considered official documentation. 

How many categories may I apply for on one application?

Only one (1) training exemption category for registration or certification may be requested per application ($25.00 fee applies). If an individual wishes to receive credit for multiple registration or certification categories, they must submit the application, fee, and required documentation for each one. For example, an individual applying for a RA (initial registration application) as an "Armed Security Officer”, they may include 01E + 07E on one application. (There are no exemptions for 05E except for pre-approved GSA training sessions.) 

When should I apply for a partial training exemption?

The process of reviewing and processing these applications is usually a minimum of 30 days. For renewals, we strongly recommend that you apply no later than 60 days prior to your expiration date to ensure time for approval and to meet any additional training requirements you might have. No partial training exemptions will be accepted after expiration of your registration. If you have expired and wish to reinstate, you must attend certified training through one of the PSS certified training schools within the specified reinstatement period.

Subscribe to Training Exemptions