Skip to main content


What type of training must I have to become an instructor?

  • Successful completion of an instructor development program, which meets or exceeds standards established by the department within three years immediately preceding the date of the application; OR
  • Successful completion of an instructor development program longer than 3 years prior to the date of application and have provided instruction during the 3 years immediately preceding, OR
  • Has provided instruction in a related field at an institution of higher learning. OR

What type of experience must I possess to become an instructor?

  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
  • Minimum of 3 years management or supervisory experience with a private security services business or with any federal, military police, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency, or in a related field; OR
  • Have 5 years general experience in a private security services business, with a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency, or in a related field; OR

How can I add additional categories to my current instructor certification?

Submit a written request to the attention of the Training Unit to include any additional documentation to verify eligibility to teach in the requested subjects. You must have training and/or experience in the specific category in order to be eligible for instructor certification. For more information, please refer to the following portion of the Regulations Relating to Private Security: 6 VAC 20-171-100. Initial instructor application. Please note that Firearms Instructors have additional requirements. Please see the question below. 

I am already an instructor through DCJS for law enforcement. How do I become an instructor for private security services?

Most likely you will not have to take our general instructor development entry-level class. You will need to submit a partial training exemption application (PSS WA) and fee in order for us to evaluate and credit your law enforcement instructor training. You will also need to show official documentation of ongoing in-service training or experience conducting training if your entry-level training was completed more than 24 months prior to applying.

Subscribe to Instructor